Bookkeeper or Accountant

Company Tax Returns

A company tax return is used by limited companies to tell HMRC about their profits, so that they pay the right amount of Corporation Tax. You might also hear it referred to as a CT600 (the name of the form used to submit the return).

Do I need to complete a Company Tax Return (CTR)?

If you run a limited company, then you will need to send a company tax return about the business’s finances. This is separate to the directors’ personal income, which is reported using a Self Assessment tax return. Lots of limited companies also register for PAYE as an employer, and pay directors a small salary through payroll.

How do I tell HMRC I need to submit Company Tax Returns?

When you set up your limited company, known as incorporation, you’ll register it with Companies House. This process automatically notifies HMRC, so they’ll know to expect a company tax return from you.

If you need help registering your new limited company, you can ask an accountant to do it for you.

You’ll need to register your new limited company within three months of starting up, even if you’re forming a company which will be dormant.

What happens after I form my limited company?

You’ll receive confirmation that the company has been registered. HMRC will also send you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number which identifies the company as a taxpayer. When you register for Self Assessment as a company director you’ll receive a separate UTR – don’t mix them up!

How do I submit my Company Tax Return to pay Corporation Tax?

Limited companies must submit their company tax return online, using the CT600 form. There are some exceptions which allow you to submit a paper return, but you’ll need to accompany this with a separate WT1 form, explaining why.

Company Tax Returns

When should I submit my company tax return?

You’ll need to submit a tax return for your limited company every year, but there are actually several deadlines to keep track of.

The deadline to submit your company tax return: 12 months after the end of the accounting period it covers. The actual date will depend on your company’s accounting period!

The deadline to pay your corporation tax bill: 9 months and one day after the end of the accounting period that it’s for.

It’s crucial to remember that you also have a responsibility to:

  • Submit your Self Assessment tax return online, as the director of a limited company.
  • Submit accounts to Companies House. The deadline for this is 9 months from the end of the accounting period they relate to. You’ll also need to submit a Confirmation Statement each year.

Companies House will confirm the end of your financial year when you register your limited company (though you can apply to change this if you want to). It’s normally one year on from the last day of the month in which you registered your company.

Can I use an accountant for my company tax return?

Absolutely! You don’t have to struggle by yourself, and can get help from an accountant to prepare your accounts and tax returns. A good tax accountant will also help you make sure that your company is as tax efficient as possible.

This involves several factors, such as making sure your business structure is the most useful one for your circumstances. They’ll also help you make sure that you’re claiming tax relief on all your allowable expenses. It can make a big difference to the amount of tax that you pay!