Do you have global ambitions for your small business? Would you like to increase your export sales and the number of countries to which you export? Then a new competition to win a grant from FedEx could be the answer – and it’s open for entry right now.
The FedEx Small Business Grant Contest
First launched in the US in 2012, the FedEx Small Business Grant Contest was extended to Brazil, Hong Kong and Singapore last year, and this year it hit Europe; it’s now open to small businesses in Germany, France and the UK.
For the UK it couldn’t come at a better time, as although the UK’s small businesses are exporting more than they import, it’s predicted that the UK won’t reach its export target of £1 trillion by 2020.
Raj Subramaniam, Executive Vice President of Global Marketing and Communications at FedEx Services, says, ‘Small businesses are facing a number of challenges every day, whether sourcing finance, evolving market conditions or meeting the government’s targets.
We believe even ideas that start small can have huge potential, and the small businesses that we serve every day are a powerful illustration of that. The competition, which provides tangible financial grants, demonstrates our commitment to helping small businesses unleash their potential and realise their dreams.’
Which Small Businesses Are Eligible?
To be eligible, your business must:
- Be a for-profit business and an incorporated company, registered with Companies House
- Have filed at least one set of accounts at Companies House
- Have its registered office in the UK
- Have fewer than 100 employees
- Have been operating for at least two years
- Not be a franchised business or a branch of a foreign entity.
- Not be insolvent
As the registered owner, you must be over 18 years of age and prepared to submit proof of your identification, your Certificate of Incorporation for your business and proof of your business trading address by means of a utility bill.
Entering the FedEx Small business Grant Contest
Entrants can register online between 7th March and 3rd April 2016, and are asked to provide details about their business and respond to these questions (within a character limit):
- Briefly share your story; tell us what you do, what you sell and the service you offer(140 characters)
- Tell us what inspired you to start your business; what makes your business stand out and how it impacts you, your community or the environment and your dreams and plans to go global.(500 characters)
- How would you use the FedEx Small Business Grant UK money to make a significant impact on growing your business and take it to the next level of success by going global? (500 characters)
The top 5 finalists will be announced on the Competition website on 11 April 2016. They will be required to provide a more detailed second round submission before final judging.
What happens if My Small Business Wins?
You celebrate, of course!
The competition winners will be announced on 25 April, with one lucky business winning the top prize and another, the runner-up award. Both the winner and runner-up will have a day’s consultation with a UK PR agency. The lucky winner will receive a grant of £20,000, while the runner-up receives £5,000.
You’ve got nothing to lose, so why not give it a go?